According to The Chopra Center, there are seven myths about meditation that prevent people from experiencing the wide array of benefits the practice has to offer:
- Meditation is only for the spiritually adept.
- A successful practice requires stopping your thoughts entirely.
- It will be years before you see results.
- Meditation is a way to escape reality.
- It takes a lot of time.
- It is based in religion.
- You are supposed to transcend when you meditate.
The truth is, anyone can do it, and everyone’s experience will be different. As is the case with medication or exercise, the real benefits of meditation are evident as we go about life in between practices.